Sunday, February 27, 2011

Controversy of Anti-Abortion Ad





Early this week while I was browsing through my normal Internet websites, I saw a controversial anti-abortion ad. The ad read, “The Most Dangerous Place For An African American Is In The Womb.” I understand that the creators for this ad was trying to promote anti-abortion, but I found it to be very cruel because the ad targets a certain race and I do not think that it is fair that they are doing that. Some people may look at the ad and say, “Yes! Abortion is wrong.” However, the meaning of the ad to me was do not have sex with a black woman because she will abort your baby. Other people in the black community felt this way also because the anti-abortion ad was quickly covered up once people spoke up about it. I am glad this was taken down because even though black women have the higher statistical rates for abortion, it does not represent black women as a whole. Not every African American woman is going to have an abortion, and I feel that is what this anti-abortion ad was portraying. On the contrary, I am against abortion. I feel that abortion is wrong because there are women around the world who want to have a child and are not able to because of fertility reasons or because the mothers lost their child. Next time anti-abortion activists should be mindful of an entire group of people before plastering up a gigantic ad on one of New York City’s busiest streets. Also, they should not single out a particular race but talk about abortion as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment