Thursday, April 7, 2011

Today is Thursday. I'll be skipping Friday and going straight to Saturday.

Today I was sitting in one of my classes and there was a slight disruption that temporarily stopped my professor from teaching for a brief 30 seconds. A student in class received a phone call and clearly forgot to put the ringer on silent or vibrate. This is a fairly common mistake made by students and isn't usually that big of a deal, but when a male upperclassman in an engineering class, consisting almost entirely of other male students, has the song "Friday" by Rebecca Black as their ringtone you can't help but to laugh.

Anyone who has heard this awful song or seen the terrible, and at times a little awkward, music video knows that the only reason the song has become such a popular hit is because of how bad it is. I could easily just talk about how awful the song is but I feel like almost everyone already knows how bad it is. The thing that most people seem to overlook is that this song is actually very average when compared to most of the popular mainstream music out there these days. It's been a really long time since the last time I was able to listen to music being played on local radio stations for more than 5 minutes. It seems like only musicians these days that get mainstream attention are the uncreative, talentless ones. There are so many great musicians out there that are being overlooked while others are cashing in on absolute garbage.

UB's Springfest lineup is a good example of what I'm talking about. I like hip-hop/rap music but Wiz Khalifia should not be headlining at any show, anywhere. I would hate to pick out songs for his set list because every song is the same. He doesn't say anything different from one song to another. It seems like no one these days cares about making music with good lyrics anymore. Its all about catchy beats and maintaining a certain image.

No comments:

Post a Comment